
This is Yoho-sensei, one of the most wonderful people I've ever met. He speaks English with a slight British accent, quotes Shakespeare on a daily basis, and rides an ancient black bicycle everywhere he goes. From the moment we met I knew he was a kindred spirit. The other day he was sitting at his desk reading Christina Rosetti's Sing-Song Poems, and said, "You are a native English speaker, can you fill in the blanks?" and read,
"What are heavy, sea-sand and blank
What are brief? to-day and to-morrow:
What are frail? Spring blossoms and youth:
What are deep? the ocean and blank."
When I guessed "sorrow" and "truth" based on the rhyme, he clapped his hands delightedly and said, "Yes, you got it!"
I've realized recently that, even though I sometimes wish I were returning home (for good) this summer, I'm not ready to leave this place yet. Although Japan doesn't feel quite like "home" (and I'm quite certain it never could), I'm starting to feel a familiarity and comfort that is heartening. (Excuse my sentimentality. I'm going home in two days, and have been doing a bit of reflecting!)
So, here's my friend Yoho- sensei (who I never can seem to talk to Grant about without tears welling in my eyes...)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home