fatwhitegeisha

Monday, July 04, 2005

Wal-Mart loses four-year battle in Vancouver- Yes!

I found this article on rabble.ca, a Canadian website I was pleased to discover today (have I been away too long? I feel so out of touch...) This article made me very happy. It is possible for people to stand up to the man (he he Kerri) and win. I also came across this Jon Stewart clip about Wal-Mart.

From the rabble.ca article:

"It was not an easy victory. Wal-Mart really wanted this store in part because every large city on the West Coast of North America had said no to Wal-Mart — including San Francisco, Los Angeles and Seattle. In order to please city council and demonstrate that it could fit in with the city's laid-back and progressive traditions, Wal-Mart agreed to a “green” concept that saw it hire a green building architect. The result was an energy efficient building with sky lights, a system for using rainwater for toilets, and three windmills to produce electricity. The parking lot was to have the appearance of an orchard with hundreds of dogwood trees (the official B.C. tree).

But in the end the green concept was not enough. Outspoken COPE councillor Tim Louis stated “a munitions factory with sky lights and windmills is still a munitions factory."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
free site statistics