fatwhitegeisha

Monday, April 04, 2005

"Melancholy bordering on desperation..."

Aimee's Mann has a new album out, I discovered this afternoon. "The Forgotten Arm," she says, is set in the early '70s, and recounts the shaky relationship between John, a Vietnam vet and boxer, and Caroline as they meet, fall in love and set out on a cross-country road trip." For some reason I was slow to come around to Aimee Mann, but after my friend Diana played me her version of "Save me" I was quite hooked. Her lyrics don't always add up for me, and I'm not sure I'd go so far (as this article does) as to say that she is one of the "best songwriters of her generation" but I think she's pretty cool, all the same. It's heartening to know that if/when the song inspiration well runs dry I could always fall back on the concept album idea... I'm looking forward to hearing this.

1 Comments:

  • Ooh... I didn't know she had a new one out. She's kind of hit and miss and a lot of her songs sound the same, but I love the tone of her voice. She's very dark though, in general, so I find you have to listen to her only in short bursts or else the world starts looking a little bleak, although beautiful.

    Thanks for letting me know it's out though!

    Love you,
    D.

    By Blogger mollyblogger, at 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
free site statistics