Update on American Soldier's Refugee Hearing
For anyone interested, this article by Naomi Klein updates the situation on Jeremy Hinzman the American soldier who fled to Canada after refusing to fight in an illegal war. On December 6-8, he will have a hearing to determine whether or not he may be considered a refugee. Things do not look good since the Canadian government has instructed the refugee board that the illegality of the war (which the government itself announced when deciding not to participate) should have no bearing on their decision.
I agree with Naomi (and I feel I may call her Naomi) and think that a decision by the refugee board to accept Hinzman would be a very real step toward ending the war. Refusing the claim would be an act of moral cowardice. If you are so inclined, please write a letter to a newspaper telling them your position. I am about to do just that. The address for letters to the editor at the Globe and Mail is Letters@GlobeAndMail.ca To send one to the National Post, click here.
I agree with Naomi (and I feel I may call her Naomi) and think that a decision by the refugee board to accept Hinzman would be a very real step toward ending the war. Refusing the claim would be an act of moral cowardice. If you are so inclined, please write a letter to a newspaper telling them your position. I am about to do just that. The address for letters to the editor at the Globe and Mail is Letters@GlobeAndMail.ca To send one to the National Post, click here.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home