On lanterns, boredom, and matters culinary
Not much going on tonight. Kate away with work. Kill Bill Vol. 2 rented and watched -- did anyone really like those movies? -- and my eyes already bleary from reading Murakami's Wind Up Bird Chronicle, I have decided to post this picture from Kyoto (one like it appears I think in every guidebook on Japan I've seen so far), and to extol the virtures of seafood quiche.
Seafood Quiche: you'll be happy to know that we have learned how to make sf quiche in our combo microwave-, toaster- oven. This is no mean feat, considering there are two temperature settings: broil and 250 degrees. That and the buttons that run the thing are all written in Kanji. We've been practicing making some kind of food that would be acceptable to feed guests, something that isn't Japanesey. It seems people here aren't shy to tell you when a dish is less than delicious. Sf quiche seems the answer to our problems. It's semi-delicious and it's not like most people here know how the original is supposed to taste which buys you lots of flub room.
I also tried making a pumpkin pie in the micro-toaster-oven with somewhat limited success. They don't have pumpkin here, just winter squash. It didn't quite taste the same.
Anyway, in the words of the immortal John Cougar Mellancamp, "It's a lonely old night...but ain't they all." Thank God I'm not a permanent bachelor any longer.
Seafood Quiche: you'll be happy to know that we have learned how to make sf quiche in our combo microwave-, toaster- oven. This is no mean feat, considering there are two temperature settings: broil and 250 degrees. That and the buttons that run the thing are all written in Kanji. We've been practicing making some kind of food that would be acceptable to feed guests, something that isn't Japanesey. It seems people here aren't shy to tell you when a dish is less than delicious. Sf quiche seems the answer to our problems. It's semi-delicious and it's not like most people here know how the original is supposed to taste which buys you lots of flub room.
I also tried making a pumpkin pie in the micro-toaster-oven with somewhat limited success. They don't have pumpkin here, just winter squash. It didn't quite taste the same.
Anyway, in the words of the immortal John Cougar Mellancamp, "It's a lonely old night...but ain't they all." Thank God I'm not a permanent bachelor any longer.


1 Comments:
Actually, I think Miller *loved* Kill Bill. He was all over it when it came out. I'll question him about it next week, when he comes to visit Toronto.
Will you guys ever visit Toronto?
love lu
By
Anonymous, at 1:02 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home