Things are going to slide, slide in all directions
So I realize it's been quite some time since I posted anything that didn't rely on a visual aid (topic-related or random) or have said anything of much consequence. Hmm. I thought I'd start with a brief meditation on the seemingly infinite health benefits of green tea. Since I began working in Japan, I drink anywhere between 4 and 10 cups of green tea/day (tending more toward the higher end of the scale lately, as my staff room is very cold, and it is a way for me to warm my hands.) And I feel really good. It is hard to tell for sure HOW much better I feel, but I seem to be more energetic on the whole. Anyway, read the afore-linked article to learn how the green stuff can change your life.
Lately I've been thinking a lot about that elusive and impossible thing called "the future." We are leaning toward staying another year here, a prospect which excites me at the same time it frightens me. If we do stay, I will be able to commit myself more to the place, get involved in things, and learn more about Japan (although I have no illusions about ever "knowing" the place.) Also, I've been really excited about learning Japanese, and after two years I might have a marginal hope of becoming reasonably reasonable at it. On the other hand... It concerns me how quickly time, in general, is passing. I'm young now, I suppose, but I've been preoccupied lately with the idea that some important window is closing/passing. I have plans.
In the midst of this query, I've gotten up to sweep the staff room. Schools in Japan do not have janitors. For ten minutes every day, everyone puts their best foot forward, picks up a mop or broom or other cleaning device, and cleans their little corner of the school. This custom is odd to me, of course, in some ways- (you often feel like a participant in sort sort of absurdist musical. Everyone is generally very cheerful as they clean "Whistle while you work..."- you get the picture) but I really appreciate the ideal behind the custom that everyone/job is equal, that everyone should take a part in maintaining things, etc. While I was sweeping, the lyrics to this song came into my head. Then I remembered that when I was in grade 10, I fell asleep listening to this album most nights. How odd. Leonard Cohen growling "When they said repent, repent, repent" must have soothed something in my adolescent soul. I suppose I can't say it wouldn't still...
Lately I've been thinking a lot about that elusive and impossible thing called "the future." We are leaning toward staying another year here, a prospect which excites me at the same time it frightens me. If we do stay, I will be able to commit myself more to the place, get involved in things, and learn more about Japan (although I have no illusions about ever "knowing" the place.) Also, I've been really excited about learning Japanese, and after two years I might have a marginal hope of becoming reasonably reasonable at it. On the other hand... It concerns me how quickly time, in general, is passing. I'm young now, I suppose, but I've been preoccupied lately with the idea that some important window is closing/passing. I have plans.
In the midst of this query, I've gotten up to sweep the staff room. Schools in Japan do not have janitors. For ten minutes every day, everyone puts their best foot forward, picks up a mop or broom or other cleaning device, and cleans their little corner of the school. This custom is odd to me, of course, in some ways- (you often feel like a participant in sort sort of absurdist musical. Everyone is generally very cheerful as they clean "Whistle while you work..."- you get the picture) but I really appreciate the ideal behind the custom that everyone/job is equal, that everyone should take a part in maintaining things, etc. While I was sweeping, the lyrics to this song came into my head. Then I remembered that when I was in grade 10, I fell asleep listening to this album most nights. How odd. Leonard Cohen growling "When they said repent, repent, repent" must have soothed something in my adolescent soul. I suppose I can't say it wouldn't still...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home