fatwhitegeisha

Thursday, October 21, 2004

In a certain light he looked like Elvis

Just got back from a short jog. You know you're procrastinating washing the floor when running seems more appealing. I'm trying my best to get into it, but it's never been my thing. I have a little route now, though. It's around the tidal outflow canal (Grant's not around to help me be accurate here) near our house. It's gorgeous at twilight with the sun setting behind the mountains (you see here G would say "hills", but he didn't grow up in Saskatchewan), and at night with the moon shining on the water.

I picked up Elvis Costello's new album "The Delivery Man" the other day and it's really good. Hightlights for me are "Either side of the same town" and "Bedlam" (whose lyrics remind me somehow of Bob Dylan's "Things have changed"), but my favorite is "There's a story in your voice." I've always been a sucker for upbeat, aggressive but vulnerable break-up songs. Lucinda Williams sings with him, and I don't think anyone could deliver the lines:

"There's a story in your eyes
Cheap sunglasses might disguise
But when the bedroom light reveals
All that bravado and that fright
That you cover up with spite
Attempt to strip away this fabrication"

with such ferocious sincerity. Check it out. It's definitely my new favorite song.

Alistair- I wanted to let you know that I've been using "Famous leaving song" for the country number in my "English Music lesson" class. The students love it especially when you growl "Order me a taxi, won't you put me on a train..." Just wait. This album's going to be your Japan break-out extravaganza. Thank you for your music.

Post on the blog!!!! I know some of you are reading it now (and feel like mean thirteen year-olds who have stolen my diary...) so PLEASE POST!

Over and out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
free site statistics