fatwhitegeisha

Monday, October 18, 2004

the life...

I'm sitting in my staff room after having taught three back to back classes (the busiest I've been in about two weeks) and drinking green tea. Most of the teachers seem very pleased that I've taken a liking to "Japanese tea" (the Japanese seem to need to distinguish everything as theirs that might be mistaken as Chinese-- where the tea was first drunk...), but one of the teachers seems almost affronted that I politely refuse his daily offers that I drink the "good taste coffee" he presents me with. But coffee in general makes me too jittery and off-balance.

Yesterday Grant and I drove to a town called Matsubase. Our quest was to find the recycle shop called "Hard off" (he he) we were told existed there and to buy a dvd player. We did not find it, but we found an excellent hyaku-yen shop (like a dollar store), and a place called Mr. Max, which I'm convinced is owned by Wal-Mart. Same colours, same lay-out, same evil McDonald's inside, same terrible blaring pop music. (Their theme song is "Shopping is fun--- at Mr. Max--- at Mr. Max, Max, Max, Max, Max" to the tune of "When the saints come marching in." It's in English, and it's "When the saints come marching in", so the Wal-Mart suspicion seems almost proven (I will check it out online later.) Despite my hatred of the Wal-Mart dynasty, we ended up cruising around and filling our cart. (I'm such a hipocrite and intend one day- when I have more money, which I know is no excuse- to act on my principles, but...) We found a dvd player for the equivalent of about $60, and bought two tennis rackets. Our new ambition is to be "active together", hence the tennis racket purchase. We're going to attempt our first game this afternoon, so we'll see how that goes. I'm quite excited about it.

So, a day filled by practising Japan's national sport- oh I'm cruel- shopping! (Many of my students, when I ask them about their hobby, say "shopping", and it's a bit sad.) Grant's mom is arriving next Friday! Are you reading the blog, Heather? We can't wait to see you.

Grant- I don't mean to be dominating this thing. Please post soon!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
free site statistics