fatwhitegeisha

Monday, October 11, 2004

Pretty little Condi precious as can be

Happy Thanksgiving! (for the Canadians out there, anyway.) It's a lovely day in Hondo. I just got back from a walk up the hill at Hirose Park, and it is breezy and sunny and there are even a few leaves blowing off the trees. It certainly feels like fall. Finally. The summer/fall transition for me is always bittersweet, however. I'm never so nostalgic as I am in the fall, and I'm sorry to report that I experienced my first intense bout of homesickness yesterday. Grant reminded me that it was cloudy, and that probably had a lot to do with it. And he was right.

I've been listening to Steve Earle's new album "The Revolution Starts Now" lately. It's basically a rally cry for America to turn the tide toward the left and oust Bush. Of course, I'm all for that. It's not my favorite of his albums, but it has a few really good songs (the "F the FCC" really gets me going...) I think my favorite is "Just another poor boy" (off to fight a rich man's war.) S. E. is very talented at focusing on the stories of individuals to communicate the grief/sorrow/joy of human experience. This song makes me think of how sincerely tragic it is that so many young men, with dreams and desires of their own, and are being thoughtlessly sent to slaughter in Iraq. The song "Condi, Condi" is a satirical love song (I guess) addressed to Condoleeza Rice. When he growls "pretty little Condi precious as can be, bet you never had another lover like me" and then says "Huh" I can't help but giggle.

What are you listening to lately? (Hey- it's really time for you to respond. Yeah you.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
free site statistics