fatwhitegeisha

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Fat White Gaijin

So, I was pondering "fatwhitegeisha" today, and began to think that "Fat White Gaijin" (foreigner) might have been more appropriate. In Japanese culture, it is polite to deride oneself, and it is impossible not to feel absolutely elephantine and "different" here. So... (I just looked up the word elephantine and the definition was "huge, clumsy or ponderous." All of the above seem applicable.) But then we would have lost that "geisha" mystique.

Today I got to witness the ni-nen-see and san-nen-see (juniors and seniors) at my school practice the dance they will perform at the sports day next Friday. The soundtrack was a combination of "Oh Mickey you're so fine", Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff" and a techno version of Aerosmith's "I'll miss you babe" (just when you thought the worst song ever written couldn't get any worse...) It was impressive. There were about three hundred girls in their P.E. shorts waving pom-poms, jumping up and down and shaking it. The Eastern (ish) sounding synth solo in "Hot Stuff" made the experience oddly hypnotic.

All for now.

Freak out.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
free site statistics