Let's Play Genitals!
So I was teaching yesterday and working one-on-one with a student. We'd finished grammar and conversation and it came time to play a game. I had a board game with me called "Chip-O" I said, "Let's play chippo now!" The student, about twelve years old, looked at me with absolute terror. "Chippo?" he asked. "Yes, Chippo," I said. "Chippo?" he asked again, growing red and slowly pointing to his crotch. "No!" I said and carefully read the game box with him.
It turns out saying "Chippo" enthusiastically is close enough to "chinpo" to make things more than just a little awkward for a minute or two. He was pretty good at the game though. Needless to say my Japanese has improved by one word.
It turns out saying "Chippo" enthusiastically is close enough to "chinpo" to make things more than just a little awkward for a minute or two. He was pretty good at the game though. Needless to say my Japanese has improved by one word.

2 Comments:
if that happened here, you could have been sued. but oh, grant, you made me laugh. this blog thing is great - but kind of a long haul, logging on and going through about 3 hoops each time you want to post a comment. but i love you guys, so i'm going to do it.
By
Sarah, at 9:43 AM
Little Lu,
Thanks for posting. It gets easier once you have an account. Then all you need to do is sign in, post, and publish. Easy-schmeazy.
Kate's got the good computer today which means that I don't (for some mysterious reason) have email access from this one. In response to your email, please say hello to Marilynne Robinson for me. She might just be the smartest woman on the planet.
Please, do keep on posting comments. It makes the blog feel so much more alive than just writing into dead space. Plus, there's a blog test at the end of the month -- you know, Question One: What game did Grant try to play with the kid? Question two: What raw fish did Kate nearly gag on while eating? Those kinds of things.
It's finally sunny again after three days of rain and typhooning. I just took a picture of a big yellow spider that I've been dying to get up on the blog since the light was good at last. I now need to wait until the good computer gets home.
Keep on writing in the free world, Guranto.
By
Anonymous, at 1:51 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home