keito wa nondeimasu ka?
Had an enkai (work party) tonight. Now it's 9:30 and I'm wasted. I drank so much "atsukan" (hot sake) that I decided to duck out of the "nijikai" (second party) and head to bed. I was sat next to this 50-something teacher, Noguchi-sensei, who really wanted to get me drunk and to try out his English. As my Japanese improves when I drink, so does the English of Japan.
nondeimasu, keito? (Are you drinking, Kate?)
hai, nondeimasu. (Yes, I'm drinking.)
mo ippai biru o nomimasu ka? (Will you have another glass of beer.)
mochiron. (Of course.)
mo ippai sake o nomimasu ka? (Will you have another glass of sake?)
Hai, mochiron. (Yes, of course.)
mo ippai shochu o nomimasu ka? (Will you have another glass of shochu?)
Hai, nomimasu. (Yes.)
Keito. kyu-ji dake. kaerimasu ka? (Kate, it's only 9 o'clock. Are you going home?)
Hai, kaerimasu. Nomisugimashita. (Yes, I drank too much.)
Noguchi sensei wa "Bad Boy" desu ne? (Noguchi-sensei is a bad boy, isn't he?)
Hai, so desu ne. (Yeah, whatever. I'm getting out of here before I'm forced to down another glass of shochu.)
It's 9 o'clock. They just fill your glass up repeatedly for four hours, no matter how much you drink from it til you lose all sense of everything. So desu ne.
nondeimasu, keito? (Are you drinking, Kate?)
hai, nondeimasu. (Yes, I'm drinking.)
mo ippai biru o nomimasu ka? (Will you have another glass of beer.)
mochiron. (Of course.)
mo ippai sake o nomimasu ka? (Will you have another glass of sake?)
Hai, mochiron. (Yes, of course.)
mo ippai shochu o nomimasu ka? (Will you have another glass of shochu?)
Hai, nomimasu. (Yes.)
Keito. kyu-ji dake. kaerimasu ka? (Kate, it's only 9 o'clock. Are you going home?)
Hai, kaerimasu. Nomisugimashita. (Yes, I drank too much.)
Noguchi sensei wa "Bad Boy" desu ne? (Noguchi-sensei is a bad boy, isn't he?)
Hai, so desu ne. (Yeah, whatever. I'm getting out of here before I'm forced to down another glass of shochu.)
It's 9 o'clock. They just fill your glass up repeatedly for four hours, no matter how much you drink from it til you lose all sense of everything. So desu ne.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home