fatwhitegeisha

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Conversation with a brownish flanked bush warbler???

The audio file in the post below needs a little patience and a grain of "Yes, he is a nerd" salt. In it I have a conversation with a bird I believe to be some kind of warbler. At least I think I'm having a conversation with a bird that I think is some kind of warbler, specifically the brownish flanked bush warbler. It was hard to tell if the bird was simply calling out according to its own mysterious rhythm of whimsy or whether, in fact, it was conversing with me.

Kate assures me I've a wicked bird call. I'm not so sure. My own, highly-arousing (albeit needing-improvement) call, doesn't much sound like the bird I was trying to talk with. Still, if the audio file is to be believed, it was authentic enough to engage the BFBW in a saucy exchange.

The recording was made in a park not far from our house while Kate and I were out hunting photos of cherry blossoms, and it was quite windy so the sound quality is not what it might be. The actual bird call itself was very beautiful, so clear and striking coming through the brush as it does and then resounding off of Japan's ubiquitous concrete thinga-ma-jigs and doodads.

Anyway, if you're interested here's a better quality recording of the brownish flanked bush warbler. And while you're there, why not check out a recording of Moltrecht's Treefrog. Happy listening!

PS, I feel a little remorseful about trying to get a laugh in an earlier post about the hooplah that's being made over the Pope's death. Watching news footage at lunch today, it struck me that the Pope worked hard for world peace and that he was very loving with children. One gets so cynical these days. Plus the Pope's stance on birth control wasn't easy to swallow. Anyway, to the Pope himself and to those papally inclined I offer my mostly heart-felt apologies.

1 Comments:

  • Hey G,

    Re: The pope... I agree that it's hard to fault a man who did so much good in the world... but is it just me or was this the same man who condemned Jean Chretien to hell because he passed the legislation allowing same-sex marriage? I mean, I don't believe in hell... but yeah... great guy.

    p.s. I want to go to Japan. Birds don't talk to people where I live :(

    By Blogger mollyblogger, at 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
free site statistics