fatwhitegeisha

Monday, March 14, 2005

Boo -- The Flu

Well, things have been a wee bit quiet around here of late because I've had the flu and Kate has been taking super amazing care of me. Having had the flu and having done nothing but nothing these past few days, I'll fill up this post with a chart telling you how to tell the difference between and flu and a cold that I got from Mercy Medical Center back in Des Moines Iowa.

Symptoms

Cold

Flu

Fever

Rare

Common and high (102-104°F); lasts 3-4 days.

Headache

Rare

Almost always present.

General aches and pains

Mild

Often severe.

Fatigue, exhaustion, and weakness

Mild

Extreme exhaustion is early and severe. Fatigue and weakness can last two to three weeks.

Stuffy nose

Nearly always

Sometimes.

Sneezing

Very common

Sometimes.

Sore throat

Common

Sometimes.

Chest discomfort and cough

Mild to moderate, hacking cough

Common, can be severe.

From National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease.

5 Comments:

  • I also have the flu! This morning I hacked up something that looked, I imagine, like the inside of a sparrow's egg.

    orange yolk sinking
    toilet water's troubled surface...
    influenza

    By Blogger em, at 7:05 AM  

  • the man with the grin
    lowered his bird
    to the oil

    Hi Earle. Now that Babies is no longer safe, please feel free to be inane over here more often.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:19 PM  

  • origami man
    of adorable stature
    pleated arms, thanking

    Yes, call me Hurricane Inanity. (Hurricananity?) I've felt stifled and spooked by the larger audience. I'll try to limit my exhalations here to the sort that knock squirrels out of trees but don't make friends feel buffetted or uncomfortable. I read half of the essay you posted but then got sick; sorry to leave you hanging there. I owe Kate an email and will get to it. Hope you're feeling better.

    By Blogger em, at 6:25 AM  

  • Yes, me too, I hope you get better soon. All of your posting are of the cute variety so post away. There's a song here that's popular called "no more cry" -- When I hear it I change the lyrics, cleverly, in my head to read "no more sick". I'm humming it for you now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:28 AM  

  • no more sick not quite yet, but I'm getting there. changing the lyrics to no more bleeding nostrils might be more useful to me now. Just to clarify - I meant only to imply that some of my own posts on BAF have been of the buffetting, uncomfortable variety, not that anyone else's were. (In case anyone else is reading over here. Stop looking at me!) Anyway, I don't comment on your blog out of an irrepressible urge to express myself via blog. I comment here because I miss you guys and like to talk to you.

    Last night D composed a haiku:

    big nose
    surgeons
    Body-Dysmorphic Disorder

    By Blogger em, at 2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
free site statistics