fatwhitegeisha

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Mr. David Frum

Recently an op-ed piece by David Frum called "Woe Canada" appeared in the New York Times and is now rising through that paper's most emailed article list.

Before going there to read the article, please go to David Frum's website where you will see -- if you don't already know -- that Mr. Frum is not only the author of The Right Man: The Surprise Presidency of George Bush, but also the co-author (with Richard Perle) of An End to Evil: How to Win the War on Terror and Resident Fellow at the American Enterprise Institute.

I find it helpful when reading "Woe Canada" to remember that if the people of Canada actually listened to Mr. Frum, we would now be engaged in an illegal war. As far as I'm concerned, argument with him can cease at this point. He is the kind of man who supports killing when killing is not absolutely unnecessary.

The reason Frum's article in The Times gets so far up my snout, is not because Frum criticizes the Liberals. The Liberal Party of Canada is, I believe, a corrupt organization which deserves all the criticism it gets. The article gets my blood boiling because, first and foremost, this piece is conservative fearmongering, and it is a brand of fearmongering that takes advantage of a particularly Canadian weakness -- "Oh no, the Americans don't like us. Someone in the New York Times called us a banana republic."

His article was not written for American readers. It was written for Canadians and its purpose surely is to play on the infamous Canadian inferiority complex (vis-a-vis America) in order to smooth the way for a Conservative Party victory in the coming election.

Mr. Frum suggests that such a victory would indicate that Canada was "modernizing," reaching "maturity," and about to gain "true multiparty democracy." I disagree. All I think it would mean is that we would have a George of our own in Ottawa to ban gay marriage, cut taxes, and the like. Now wouldn't that be mature.

I fail to see how a choice between a party that takes its cues from the American neo-con movement and a second party that has a recent history of graft and kick backs can be considered "true multiparty democracy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
free site statistics